Collaborative Application Markup Language (CAML) is the XML-based language that is used to build and customize Web sites based on SharePoint™ Team Services from Microsoft®.
CAML can be used to do the following:
* Provide schema definition to the Web site provisioning system about how the site looks and acts.
* Define views and forms for data and page rendering or execution.
* Act as a rendering language that performs functions in the DLL like pulling a value from a particular field.
* Provide batch functionality for posting multiple commands to the server using protocol.
Why would you use CAML as opposed to just using Microsoft FrontPage® or other editing tools?
* To make universal changes, such as adding a new logo to the main pages of every site you create.
* To define a content type, such as for adding Flash movies to the SharePoint team Web site.
* It provides the ultimate in customization and flexibility; manipulating CAML allows you total control over the site provisioning system, for instance, when creating a list or adding a view.
read the whole article